The Linnaean Association was created in 1844 by students that wanted to create a Natural History Association. They started a museum collecting, everything from minerals and fossils, some of which can still be found in the Science Center and Special Collections and College Archives.
The library of the Linnaean Association was very small, with only a few books remaining today. The contents of all the books had to do with medicine or natural science. Donated primarily by alumni, the Linnaean Association’s collections focused on natural history and antiquities.
Although the Linnaean Association had ceased to exist by 1862, Linnaean Hall was listed by the College as one of the buildings damaged during the Battle of Gettysburg.
The Association was briefly revived in the 1870s. From there the books were absorbed into the main college library and the minerals and artifacts were absorbed into the college museum.